The Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholars Program offers a select cohort of talented university students unique access to specially designed courses, lectures, leadership experiences, networking, and assistance in applying for graduate opportunities and scholarships. It accepts scholars from among the most outstanding students of the National Universities of UAE: Higher Colleges of Technology, UAE University and Zayed University. The scholarship program has been developed in close consultation with the Abu Dhabi Board of Education, existing national universities and colleges in the United Arab Emirates, and New York University Abu Dhabi. The objectives of the program include:
- Academic development and leadership
To provide an unparalleled and rigorous educational, cross-cultural, and leadership development experience for outstanding and gifted university students in their third or fourth year of college studies in the UAE.
- Networking and enrichment opportunities
To provide access to NYUAD’s global research, education, and leadership network, foster greater awareness of international issues and challenges, and develop in these fellows the ability to shape the future.
- Higher Education Consulting
Advise and help prepare outstanding candidates demonstrating the highest merit and motivation for graduate and professional study at institutions of their choice.
The Lead Instructor will oversee all academic duties for SMSP course delivery, public speaking and public presentations, working with the Assistant Instructors. The curriculum for this course will provide students with the opportunity to receive public speaking instruction, assignments, and feedback aimed at developing and improving their public speaking skills. Students will read, listen to and analyze the speeches of world renowned public speakers; participate in individual and team public speaking exercises; and receive detailed feedback from the instructor, assistant instructors, and classmates on content, style, organization, and delivery. At the end of the course, students should be able to: participate effectively in formal discussions and debates; develop and deliver a presentation or speech with a clear structure and in-depth content; Recognize and correct major errors in public speaking.
The lead instructor’s academic duties include identifying and updating course objectives and learning outcomes, creating syllabi and lesson plans, teaching, grading and evaluation, as well as than office hours for student meetings. The course consists of approximately 8 sessions, totaling approximately 16 hours of classroom instruction for the duration of the school year. The Lead Instructor will also support programmatic activities on SMSP weekends as required and participate in selection activities and graduation events as required.
- Work within the existing curriculum to create programs and lesson plans for 8 sessions of public speaking and public presentation
- Ensure that all course materials are delivered and accessible to fellows, often through Brightspace’s NYU learning management system
- Incorporate the public speaking and public presentation program into research/interest trips (whether government and institutional regulations allow travel due to Covid-19)
- With assistant instructors, hold at least a series of 1-1 meetings with fellows to discuss goals, progress, and challenges. Be available to individual fellows or groups needing assistance, as well as other instructors undertaking interdisciplinary or collaborative projects
- Work closely with assistant instructors to review fellow performance, provide feedback and grades, and evaluate course delivery and activities
- Provide fellows with continuous and regular feedback (oral and written) throughout the duration of the fellowship program
- Attend all pre-program meetings and/or training sessions
- Participate in faculty meetings by providing detailed feedback on scholars’ academic progress
- Submit detailed and detailed written comments on each scholar to be used in writing letters of recommendation for their graduate applications at the end of each academic year
- Review, evaluate and update courses and teaching materials at the end of each academic year
- Assist and assist as needed with events and extracurricular activities throughout the scholarship program, which will involve leading small groups of students on field trips and trips, or supporting program operations as needed
- Supervise and coordinate instruction with assistant instructors
Duration of the appointment:
September to May of each academic year, with attendance at approximately two meetings prior to the start of the program for orientation activities. In addition to the Abu Dhabi portion of the program, research/interest trips to NYU global locations may take place for students, which the lead instructor may participate in. Trips will only take place subject to government and institutional regulations due to Covid-19. Appointment dates are subject to change.
About NYU Abu Dhabi
Created in partnership between New York University (NYU) and the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, NYU Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) has over the past decade brought together a remarkable community of scholars, students, researchers, of artists, inventors and others who have contributed to the growth of the capital of the United Arab Emirates as a global center of knowledge and culture, while establishing a new model of higher education for the complex world of ‘today.
NYUAD is driven by inspiring and diverse faculty, students, and staff working together in an exciting and dynamic city. As an international center of excellence in teaching and research, our goal is to attract exceptional faculty who are leaders in their fields, encouraging them to create programs that attract exceptional students and providing an environment intellectually rich.
The students are selected from among the best in the world. They are bright, intellectually passionate, and committed to creating a campus environment rooted in mutual respect, understanding, and caring. NYUAD’s undergraduate student body has garnered an impressive number of scholarships, graduate school appointments, and many other global accolades. Higher education is a growth area for the university and the current graduate student population of over 100 students is expected to increase over the next decade.
NYUAD is committed to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity (IDBE). For more information on NYUAD’s commitment to IDBE and how these values are fundamental to our mission, please visit https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/inclusion-diversity-belonging- and-equity.html.
Work for NYUAD
A world-class institution deserves world-class benefits. At NYUAD, we recognize that Abu Dhabi is more than your workplace, it’s your home. In order for faculty to thrive, we provide a comprehensive benefits package to our top talent. It starts with a generous relocation allowance to ensure a smooth transition to Abu Dhabi, followed by a competitive salary, on-campus accommodation if required; access to health and wellness services, and more. NYUAD is committed to faculty success throughout the academic career, supporting ambitious, world-class research projects and innovative, interactive teaching approaches. Support for alternating families is a priority.
Click here for more information on benefits for you and your dependents.
Education, certifications, licenses or training required:
- Advanced degree (Masters, PhD, or other terminal degree) in professional communications, executive leadership, or related field
- Available to travel internationally, if required, on the dates listed above, if the program is offered in person
- Ability to provide online instruction during the dates listed above if the program is delivered online
Preferred education, certifications, licenses or training:
- Advanced degree in English or Communications or a related subject
- College-level experience teaching public speaking and/or debating
Work required and related experience
- Demonstrated interest in intercultural education and enthusiasm for teaching
- Experience supervising university students in an extracurricular setting
- Availability to assist with program administration prior to the start of classes in Abu Dhabi
Preferred job and related experience
- Work or internship experience teaching English to non-native speakers
- Familiarity with online and face-to-face teaching
Candidates must submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae in PDF format. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
For instructions and information on how to apply, please visit our website at https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/careers/academic-support.html.
For more information about the program, please visit: www.nyuad.nyu.edu/summer.academy.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For EU individuals, click here for information about your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion.